CARMEL BAPTIST CHURCH
Position Description : Japanese Pastor
Ministry Area: Global Outreach FLSA: Non-exempt (Part-time)
Reports To: Missional Outreach Pastor
Supervises: Japanese Ministry Assistant
SUMMARY OF THE BASIC FUNCTION
Works under the direction of the Missional Outreach Pastor to shepherd the Japanese ministry congregation at Carmel and to shepherd and reach out to the Japanese community in the Charlotte region. Coordinates with Missional Outreach Pastor in communicating the overall mission and vision of Carmel to the Japanese ministry.
Knowledge: A Bachelor’s degree is required. Additional theological education is
preferred. Must be able to perform all duties in Japanese. Must be proficient in English, able to adequately communicate with the church as a whole.
Experience: Must have a deep understanding of both Japanese and American culture, so as to effectively assist with maintaining an ongoing Japanese ministry as a part of an American church. Ministry experience is required. Pastoral experience in a local church is preferred.
Skills: Must be able to relate to people from varied ethnic and cultural backgrounds. Must be able to manage to and accomplish goals, administer budgets, and supervise others. A heart for evangelism and discipleship is a must. Must be able to teach and preach.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
Must be able to sit at a desk at least 50% of the time. Must be able to lift 25 pounds. Must be able to ambulate from one end of the campus to the other, including up and down stairs leading to the worship platform and baptistery.
Must be able to work well under pressure and prioritize tasks in a multi-task environment.
Must be ordained. Must be a United States citizen or possess a permanent residence
card. Must agree with the doctrinal statement of Carmel Baptist Church.
SCOPE OF AUTHORITY
Has the authority to train and supervise all Japanese ministry related leadership
of Carmel. Has the authority to research and make recommendations for future Japanese ministries, in cooperation with the Missional Outreach Pastor.
- Coordinates the overall Japanese Ministry, under the direction of the Missional Outreach Pastor and personally participates in pastoral care, preaching, teaching, and making disciples.
- Researches and implements ministry programming for the Japanese ministry participants.
- Provides Sunday Bible Study in Japanese.
- Coordinates and leads monthly Sunday worship in Japanese.
- Provides weekday Bible study and prayer opportunities for Japanese locally and in the region.
- Develops and implements a strategy for reaching out to Japanese community.
- Cares for Japanese ministry participants by visiting them in homes and hospitals, counseling, and providing pastoral care (funeral, weddings, baptisms) as needed.
- Develops and manages an annual budget for the Japanese ministry.
- Performs other duties as assigned.