Mexico Mission Trip
Saturday, June 13, 2015 - Saturday, June 20, 2015
Student Registration Here
Adult Registration Here
Download Info Packet
Important Dates and Deadlines
- Registration, Application, Forms and $100 Deposit Deadline: December 17
- Lois Bumpus Scholarship Deadline: January 31
- Training 1: February 8 - 4:15-5:30pm (Gym)
- Training 2: March 29 - 4:15-5:30pm (Gym)
- Half Cost Due: March 31
- Training 3: May 3 - 4:15-5:30pm (Gym)
- Complete Cost Due: May 15
- Packing Party: June 10 - 6:00-7:30pm (Gym)
Spiritual preparation is vital to serving on mission. In order to participate in the Mexico mission project students are expected to have 80% attendance in Student Discipleship Community, HS Fuel and attend all training dates along with the packing party.
About Big Heart Orphanage
Big Heart is located in Reynosa, Tamaulipas MX, right across from Pharr, Texas U.S. They opened their doors October of 2000 and have been blessed to be a part of some amazing kids lives. Currently Big Heart houses 18 children. Big Heart has 10 beds for girls and 10 beds for boys along with 3 mini apartments for teenagers.
Big Heart’s main purpose is to supply a loving home for kids and orphans including food, clothing, and education. They do have a few “true orphans” but many of the children are from Mexican single-parent families that do not have consistent work in order to supply the needs of their children. A majority of the parents are still involved in their children’s lives and the children do get to go home to their families every other weekend.
While the children’s ages vary between 6-10, they do have some children who are older and younger. Once a child turns 18 the government requires them to leave the orphanage. There are many orphanages that house over a 100 children. However, Big Heart’s facility is smaller. they strive to provide more of a home rather than just a shelter.
The children call Gator, dad, and Deanna, mom. Gator and Deanna are working hard to disciple the children who they are entrusted with for the time that they have them. Some children have grown up in the orphanage and graduated. Others, the parents take back as their finances become stable. The deep relationships that are formed with the children creates a relationship that lasts long after they are no longer at the orphanage.
They are not caring for these children in hopes that they will be adopted or go to the U.S. Big Heart Orphanage makes it their mission to help raise up a generation of Mexican people who love God, lead their homes and eventually lead the nation of Mexico.
In recent years, God has provided Big Heart with the finances to do some amazing ministry within their community, on top of providing a home for children. When the economy was strong and financial support was plentiful they would give out food and supplies once a week and the people of the community would line up to receive them. Gator his family have tremendous influence within the community because of how they love and serve their neighbors Christ’s name.
Big Heart Orphanage is vital to the community and the people of the community have great respect for them.
With every mission trip there is a need for training to be wise and intentional about making provisions for safety. Gator will let us know if he feels that it would not be safe for us to go. He would not put our leaders or students in a situation that was violent.
Big Heart Community Center
Big Heart does have a Community Center across the street from the orphanage. The goal for this facility is to be a safe place for the kids at the orphanage and the community to play and get together. They currently host community Bible studies, and they have an eventual goal of a food pantry and clothing facility for the community. The Community Center has 15’ walls and is gated. Micah and Jenny live on the top of the community center.
We will take the orphans and leadership to a local water park and grill out. The purpose of this event is for the orphans to have a great time and for us to get to know them. This would serve as a great opportunity right at the start of the trip to develop relationships with the staff and orphans at Big Heart.
- Twin Bunkbeds within the orphanage
- 1 Guy’s dorm & 1 Girl’s dorm
- 3 rooms that sleep 4 each
- 3 bathrooms in girl’s dorm w/hot water
- 2 bathrooms in guy’s dorm w/hot water
- 7 stand-alone bathrooms w/hot water
- Air conditioned rooms at night.
- All water is filtered and safe for drinking within the orphanage.
- Food is outstanding!
- Linens and towels provided.
- 10’ wall surrounds the orphanage with glass shards on top or spikes on metal gates for safety
The work depends on the finances available, the work we want to do, and what that needs done when the time comes for us to go. Below is a list of opportunities available to our team.
- There is always typical construction work to be done (Concrete, painting, building, etc.). Gator can provide all of the tools that we need.
- Could put a metal roof over the Community Center.
- Could build a house along the canal.
- We will partner with the local church for an outreach event. Give away food, clothing and cleaning supplies while there is live music, games for children and a gospel presentation.
- Street evangelism.
- Give out food, clothing and cleaning supplies for people along the canal.
- Saturday - Fly from Charlotte to Texas, cross the border, get settled, plan work/ministry week.
- Sunday - Church, fun afternoon with the orphans a local water park.
- Monday - Work/ministry
- Tuesday - Work/ministry
- Wednesday - Work/ministry
- Thursday - Work/ministry (potential outreach event)
- Friday - Work/ministry (potential outreach event)
- Saturday - Fly from Texas to Charlotte
Every team member must have a passport. Apply for a passport here.
Trip Dates: June 13-20, 2015
People: 40 people (8 Adults & 32 students)
Flight: Cost Dependent: Roundtrip via United Airlines from Charlotte to McAllen, TX or Southwest Airlines from Charlotte to Harlingen, TX
Housing/Food: Housing will be at the orphanage and all meals will be included.
Big Heart Orphanage Phone: 210-579-0902
Big Heart Orphanage Mailing Address: PO Box 746 Pharr, TX 78577
Big Heart Orphanage Email:
Lois Bumpus Scholarship
The Lois Bumpus Missions Endowment and Scholarship Fund were created in honor of Lois Bumpus’ lifetime commitment to sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The purpose of these funds is to underwrite missionary work across the globe for 16 to 26 year old members of Carmel Baptist Church. It is the desire of the Bumpus family that these dollars be used to help young men and women in their endeavors to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ across the globe through short-term mission trips. For complete details and the application process visit http://carmelbaptist.org/connect/missions-outreach/nations/mission-trips/mission-trip-scholarship/