ABLE to Pray
There are times throughout our journey that we just don't have the words to say to God. We feel so down, or inadequate, or confused, or scared that we literally do not even know what to pray. In those times, the Holy Spirit intercedes on our behalf. He prays for us! Romans 8:26 says, " Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words."
Likewise, the Spirit helps us in our weakness...
1. Likewise: This is referring to the verses that come before it.
A. Creation itself groans for the return of Jesus
B. Believers groan and long for eternity. Those in Christ groan for the restoration of all things.
Sometimes we just don't know what to pray. It's ok to just sit and wonder when we are in a time of suffering. A healthy understanding/theology of suffering is good for the Christian. The Holy spirit is a comfort and help in our suffering.
2. Helps: The Holy Spirit will walk with you through everything. He will empower
you. When you say, "I don't have enough __________", the Holy Spirit, who is IN you, promises to say, "Let's pick this up together."
He doesn't make everything go away, but He is there to help shoulder the load.
3. Weakness: This is regarding when we don't know what to pray for. The Spirit
Himself will intercede with groanings too deep for us to hear.
Reasons why we don't know:
A. We don't know the future. We are limited in our knowledge of that reality.
B. We don't know what is the best outcome of the situation.
Romans 8:27 says that the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. There is an emotional connection of the Holy Spirit that shows us compassion.
Prayer reminds us:
1. That we are a needy people. God moves through the earth through our prayers. They matter to Him!
2. The Holy Spirit AND Jesus (Rom 8:34) are both interceding for us. When you don't have words, He does.
To Discuss Today:
1. Think back to a time when you literally didn't have the words to pray. How did that situation work out? Read Romans 8 and discuss the faithfulness of God.
2. Spend some time praying and thanking God for the opportunity to talk to Him and be in relationship with Him.