God Is.... Love
God is love. It is His character and nature. He is the author of love. In 1 John 4:7-14, we see God's tenacious love fleshed out. In verse 9, Jesus showed up with the credentials to do something about sin in the world. He was sent as an apostle. He intentionally chose to come and do something about the brokenness in the world. We sinned---He sent. Jesus loved so much that He was the propitiation for our sin. His atonement (at one ment) was a reconciled payment for our sin (v10).
In verse 11 we see that we need to be sent too. His love is perfected in us (Sermon on the Mount). Christ is needed in the earth. In verses 13-14, we see that the gospel unleashes us...but there is a price to be paid. That price is surrender. In verse 7, it says, "Beloved, let us love another. For love is of God, and everyone that loves is BORN of God and KNOWS God." When you are born again in Christ, you are a vessel God wants to use in His strong love.
Our lifestyle should scream that we are a Christian. We need to live a life that is peculiar to others. Love is a sacrifice of self. It is being servant-minded. The more time you spend with God, the more you will look and act like Him! Remember, He LONGS to be with you...He loves you with a perfect, sacrificial love.
To Discuss Today:
1. How do you intentionally show love to people in your family?
2. How can you be more loving in your life with those around you?
3. Our limits (how we are different from God) teach us to fear the Lord. This gives us courage to grow in the ways we can be like God. How does this work?
4. What is a small act of love that someone has done for you? How was it loving?
5. What does it mean that "love is a choice"?