We know from Genesis 1 that when God speaks, powerful things happen. As the Imago Dei, we have power in our words too. We can't create like He can, but we can speak life and death to those around us. Our words matter! James speaks to this in Chapter 3:1-12.
James begins in verses 1-2 by encouraging us to try, knowing that we are not perfect. He then goes on to contrast small and large through the example of a small bit controls a horse and a small rudder controls a ship. Verse 5 says, "So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things." James transitions from the simile to a metaphor, calling the tongue a fire that can not be controlled by any human. He says that it stains the whole body. Verse 9-10 reminds us that our life is a journey of sanctification. We need to know Christ more and more so that we are changed.
The mouth is connected to the heart! We must feast on God's word. When we abide in Christ and fill our hearts with His truth, then the rest is impacted.
1. Start with your heart - "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart bring you praise." Psalm 19:14. Remember who you are...a child of God.
2. Sanctify your "electronic tongue" - The words you print on social media are still your words! Be very careful with what you put out there.
3. Choose to give life to others - As Eugene Peterson prayed over his son every day: God loves you, He is on your side, He is relentless, He is coming after you.
To Discuss Today:
1. Who around you speaks life? What do you notice about them?
2. Are you filling up your heart with God's Truth from His Word? What does that look like for you? Is anything else taking too much priority from that?
3. Who will you speak words of life and encouragement over this week?