Resurrection Sunday - Great Joy
In Matthew 28:1-9, we see the incredible Truth that Jesus rose from the dead! An angel descended from heaven and sat on the stone that he had rolled away and spoke to the Marys. He said, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here, for he has risen, as he said." The Roman guards had gone sheet white in fear. Angels are created beings who are a small representation of the glory of God. They always invoke wonder and fear from humans because of their glory.
In verse 8, it says that the women quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy. Great joy is "megas chara" and is an overwhelming joy. Mary Magdalene had been at the cross, at the sealing of the tomb, and had been freed by Jesus of 7 demons that had tormented her. She was a woman who was grateful.
Why such joy?
1. It proved His deity
2. Without the resurrection, we are still stuck in our sin
3. His resurrection guarantees our resurrection
4. He kept His promises
In verse 9, the women meet Jesus and He says, "greetings". This is a powerful word that means "to be glad" or "Rejoice!". The Marys came up and took hold of His feet and worshipped Him." Up to this point, God pursued us. Now, we have the invitation to move towards Him.
4X's is says Mega Joy in the gospels...
1. When the wise men saw the star - their joy brought worship
2. When the shepherds witnessed the angels - their joy brought worship
3. Mary at the tomb - her joy brought worship
4. Jesus' ascension to heaven - their joy brought worship
To discuss today:
1. Where are you going and what are you telling?
2. What do you need to do to treat every day like Resurrection Sunday?