The vulnerable are all around us, and too often we don't even see them. They include: orphans, widows, the poor, the trafficked, refugees/immigrants, prisoners, minorities, those with special needs, those dealing with mental health challenges, the abused, and the pre-born. Every one of these is valuable and precious, and we have an opportunity to fight on their behalf. This morning, Pastor Alex focused on the Pre-Born. Currently, a child dies every 25 seconds in America due to abortion. Since Roe vs Wade in 1973; 60,000,000 children in America have died. It is The American Holocaust.
Psalm 139:1-24 is clear in the fact that God is omniscient (knows all), omnipresent (He exists everywhere), omnipotent (all powerful), and that He made each person intimately and personally. Verses 13-16 say, "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them."
Genesis 1:26-27 shows us that we were made in God's image.
Matthew 1:20-21 tells us, "for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit..." Jesus came as a zygote, grew into an embryo, then a fetus, and then a full-sized baby.
Fertilization - a zygote has a separate genetic code
3 weeks - heart starts beating
4 weeks - pumping the embryo's own blood
1 month - hand formation
7 weeks - brainwaves, gender, and hiccups
8 weeks - 90% of the 4500 body parts found in adults
10 weeks - unique fingerprints
12 weeks - complex facial expressions, taste buds, arms reach final proportion.
Nearly 92% of all abortions take place before 13 weeks.
Abortion as a Way of Life
Forty years after the Supreme Court legalized abortion on demand, the practice is deeply embedded into American life because it is the leading cause of death (860,000 annually). 3 in 10 women in America are post-abortive by the time they are 45. Many women have abortions due to overwhelming circumstances, and/or a lack of education. Often they do not connect the dots between their faith and the taking of a human life.
Why is the Church Silent?
1. Abortion is a political issue - Many church leaders don't want to put their nonprofit status at risk or offend churchgoers. Abortion is primarily a spiritual issue, and as such, the church is required to deal with it.
2. So many of us are post-abortive
3. We are uneducated about the facts
Proverbs 31:8-9 commands us to
"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."
Proverbs 24:11-12 commands us to
"Rescue those who are being taken away to death; hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter."
To Discuss Today:
1. How does today's message impact you? What are your convictions regarding abortion? Do those line up with the Bible?
2. Pastor Alex gave a list of 11 ways to be a voice for life. Talk through these practical tools?
1. Abide - It all starts here
2. Soften your heart to the Word
3. Open your mind to the science
6. Vote for Life
7. Walk the Path with those that are struggling BEFORE they make a decision
8. Participate in Surrendering the Secret - see below
9. Men...step up and choose life
10. Be uncomfortable
11. Open your home to adoption
3. Book recommendations:
Deliver Us from Abortion - Brian Fisher
The Case for Life - Scott Klusendorf
Pro Life Answers to Pro Choice Arguments - Randy Alcorn
Challenging Conversations - Jason Jimenez (coming soon...)