Today wraps up the citywide unified sermon series with 2 weeks worth of important Truth. Pastor Alex began the morning reminding us that Jesus prayed for the church in John 17:20-23 "so that the world may know that You sent Me and loved them even as You loved Me." As THE church, we march as ONE TEAM. It is a spiritual reality, but it also can be a practical reality if we choose to live it out. As one pastor in the city said, "We don't compete with each other, we complete each other."
We also looked at what it means to be For the City:
are God's plan
to share God's purpose (Jesus)
for Our City
In Jeremiah 29, the people of Israel had just been exiled to Babylon. The false prophets among them told them that they would be going back anytime, but God was clear that they would be in exile for 70 years. They didn't like where they were.
1. God sent them to Babylon (29:4) - Remember, we were not built for this life.
2. God instructed them to "Plant Yourself" - Be all in where you are. Be For the City!
3. God called them to seek the welfare of the city - Welfare is "Shalom" which means (peace, wholeness, sound, complete). When sin entered the world, Shalom was broken. When you gave your life to Jesus and are indwelled with the Holy Spirit, you take shalom wherever you go!
29:7 BUT...when you build, take, plant, eat, etc., do NOT create a "holy huddle". Seek the welfare of the city by being a blessing. Focus on verse 7, knowing that our hope is in verse 11.
1. Do you pray for the city of Charlotte? Put a reminder in your phone to pray.
2. Learn the needs of the city (click on the link below).
3. Engage the needs of YOUR city. Find something that can give you an opportunity to be the hands and feet of Jesus. Remember, you are the answer to the lostness in our city...for this season...YOU have an assignment.
4. Pray Jesus' prayer in John 17:20-24 each day this week.