Table Talk - Week of January 18, 2015
King Jesus and the Queen City
An extraordinary impact from an ordinary life...when 12 = 2.2 billion
We see the names of the 12 that Jesus called in Matthew 10:1-4. These 12 ordinary men chose to follow the call of Jesus and spread the gospel to the ends of the earth. Without their obedience, we would not be worshipping together today. Too often we get into the mindset of, "I'm just a...". The disciples were young dropouts, but they changed the world. You can too!
Natural people can have supernatural impact. As a disciple, YOU have the Holy Spirit indwelled in you. You are a son/daughter of the living God. Today is another pearl that goes on a strand creating a life well lived.
Remember where you came from. Because of the faithfulness of those that went before you, you have the opportunity to live in relationship with the Father. Alexander Craighead, one of Charlotte's first pastors, was a man who was faithful. He helped make Charlotte a Holy city. Can you be defined the same way he was?
- He had a spiritual fire
- He had a biblical worldview
- He longed for unity in this region
- He had a big view of God
- He was a cultural leader
3 steps to invest into a generation that will go into a time that you will not see:
- Pray - Jesus prayed all night before He called the 12. Pray for and with your teams...beginning at home!
- Be Present - Walk with your "team". Be with them physically, emotionally, and spiritually
- Pour into them - Be strategic with your time.
Questions to discuss as a family today
1. Discuss your history. Where did you come from? Who led you to Christ?
2. Take some time to make a schedule of where you spend your time. Who do you spend the most time with? Does your time allocation need to be adjusted? How?
3. Make a plan to pray, be present, and Pour into your Nearest and your Neighbors this week.
Father, thank you for the 12. Although some of them are seen as footnotes in history, I understand that they were faithful to be obedient followers. Please help me stay focused and passionate like they were. Help me to be defined like Alexander Craighead in my spiritual fire and as a cultural leader. Thank you for choosing to use me to be a grand part of your story. I want to make your name famous in my circles.
Please feel free to call or email your thoughts each week!
Patrick McCrory, Generations Pastor