There are many people that we do not see "eye to eye" with, and often that creates difficulty in living in community with them. One way to look at those that view life differently is to see them as thirsty. You have the opportunity to give them the Living Water that they so desperately need.
Matthew 5:43-48 gives us insight to how Jesus expects us to live. He does not want us to be passive, but actively loving those that are difficult for us. Pastor Alex gave us 4 practical ways to love the difficult neighbor:
1. Renew your mind with Truth (v43) - We must separate fact from fiction and keep on praying and loving. This work is continuous until there is a work of grace.
2. Pray for them (v44) - After time, grace begins to overcome bitterness. Pray until you break through the bitterness.
3. Choose to be supernatural rathe than natural (v46) - When we abide in Christ, the Holy Spirit can work in and through us in ways that don't look normal to world. In Christ, we have the ability to be a crazy good lover of people.
4. We must "be perfect" (v48) - This is the secret! Perfection translates as "mature". Move forward in your relationship with Christ. You must give your life to Jesus if you have any chance of loving in a supernatural way!
To Discuss Today
1. Have your seen a "mature 10 year old" and an "immature 80 year-old"? What does it mean to be mature in Christ?
2. Is there someone in your life that you choose to avoid? Why? What can you do to find a way to love them well?
3. Pray Ephesians 3:14-21 over your neighbors. Seek unity.
4 Write a neighbor's card this week for each neighbor and put it in their mailbox!