Student Ministry Parents
Our desire is to partner with parents to disciple the next generation. As we partner together, we want to give you tools to use as you spend time in conversation with the student(s) in your home. Below is a list of resources that will be helpful to both students and parents. Beyond these resources, we want to connect with you and pray with you about whatever challenges you may be facing. If you would like to start a conversation, have a suggestion for a topic, or a question you would like for us to engage, we would love to hear from you at .
Sign Up for Student Ministry Emails
Sign up to receive student news and updates delivered to directly to your inbox. To sign up, please select the grade for each your students.
Milestone Storehouse Parent Resources
Parents, we celebrate that you are the primary influencer in the life of your children and teenagers. As we seek to help our families move into life giving rhythms, we acknowledge that parenting is not an easy calling. We see you and are in your corner! We know that many parents today want to do the right thing, but many lacked examples of spiritual leadership when they were children and still more can feel overwhelmed by the pressures their families face today.
That is why we are excited to share these resources below to encourage and equip you as parents. These parent equipping articles and videos will explore key topics families deal with in areas such as parenting, communication, spiritual growth, emotional health, technology, and life skills. Simply click on a “Read” or “Watch” link below each topic that interests you to explore practical ideas and resources that will help you lead your home. We have offered the same content in both a video and written format so you can choose what works best for you. Check back often as we will update this material with new topics monthly.
PARENT CUE - MAKE EVERY WEEK COUNT
Download the Parent Cue App / Allow notifications / Set Carmel as your church / Add your family / Check weekly and follow the cues
Small group material - grade based content
In order to best disciple students we started an endeavor a few years ago and that plan is finally coming to fruition. There is grade-specific content for 7th, 8th, and High School students. All of the content is based on Scripture, the Milestone Path, and our ABLE strategy. You can download the material onto your favorite device by clicking the links below.
- Tech Guide by PluggedIn
Regular conversations are key in helping your student navigate the digital world we live in. Resources like this one help too. "Tech Guide by PluggedIn" is a comprehensive guide to all things technology, apps, and general knowledge for parents on technology.
- Tech Savvy Parenting
Brian wrote Tech Savvy Parenting in order to empower parents to deal with the rapidly changing world of their children. Instead of waging a war against technology, parents can learn to bring balance to their families by setting boundaries and safeguards.
- Apple Devices - Parental Controls
- Android Devices - Parental Controls
- Instagram - Parental Controls
- TikToc - Parental Controls
- YouTube - Parental Controls
- Online Privacy - It’s time to discuss online privacy with your kids
- Bark: Monitoring for an unlimited number of devices. In addition to monitoring more than 30 apps and social media platforms, this tool also monitors texts and emails. You can block specific websites or website categories. If your child is interacting with online content that appears questionable or harmful, Bark will send you an alert. Parents are also able to create custom limits and schedules for both mobile activity and Wi-Fi devices in the home which can include televisions, game consoles, laptops, and more.
- Norton Online Family: This parental-control filter shows sites your kids visit, provides app supervision and blocks inappropriate sites. Parents can even monitor all activity either online or via Norton’s mobile app. This is an affordable, comprehensive product that lets parents know exactly what their kids are viewing online. It’s also easy to set up if you’re not a tech-savvy adult. Just be aware that this is not a Mac-compatible product.
- Net Nanny: This parental-control filter blocks unwanted apps, filters content and allows parents to monitor children’s web usage. The modern version is full of features for managing screen time, monitoring social media, controlling YouTube content, and tracking your child’s location. You can even watch your child’s online activity in real time.
- FamiSafe: This parental control app for kids’ smartphones (iOS and Android) enables parents to track children’s location, as well as blocking in appropriate content and setting screen-time limits.
- Qustodio: This cross-platform (Windows, iOS, Android, Nook, Kindle) program provides content filtering, app blocking and an online activity log. The dashboard is easy for parents to use. You can also set rules that control how your kids are able to interact with various websites and apps. While Qustodio does a lot, it’s not ideal if your primary goal is to track activity on social media.
- Covenant Eyes: This accountability and filtering software sends a report of your internet activity to an individual you select. It’s especially targeted at helping users to “live porn free.”
- Kaspersky: This tool is available in a free version that offers many of the features parents want. Kaspersky Safe Kids enables you to block the adult content and websites of your choice. You’ll get full control over where your child can go online. If you’re unsure about where to start, you can also choose ready-made categories that cover the riskier spaces on the internet for kids. This budget-friendly pick also allows you to track how many hours per day your child is accessing devices. There’s also location tracking.
- Don’t Waste Your Life by John Piper
John Piper provides insight into why God created us and reminds us that to live is Christ and to die is gain. A life lived for Christ is a life not wasted.
- How to Stay Christian in High School by Steve Gerali
How to handle the everyday temptations and pressures of high school are addressed as this author engages the student’s minds in a way that will lead to transformation and hope.
- Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris
Learn about the teenage rebellion against low expectations.
- Raising a Modern-Day Knight by Robert Lewis
Learn the father’s role in guiding his son to authentic manhood.
- Parenting by Paul David Tripp
In this life-giving book, Paul Tripp offers parents much more than a to-do list. Instead, he presents us with a big-picture view of God’s plan for us as parents. Outlining fourteen foundational principles centered on the gospel, he shows that we need more than the latest parenting strategy or list of techniques. Rather, we need the rescuing grace of God―grace that has the power to shape how we view everything we do as parents.
- Confident Parenting by Jim Burns
Confident Parenting gives practical advice with God honoring principles. Jim Burns addresses overcrowded lifestyles, overcoming negative family patterns, and raising kids who love God and themselves.